Serra Club of Philadelphia
Scope and Contents
The collection covers Serra club material from the 1950s to the mid- 1980s. It is subdivided into many different categories, from correspondence to pamphlets from various Serra International Conventions.
- Majority of material found within 1950 - 1983
Biographical / Historical
The Serra Club of Philadelphia started when Matthew H. McCloskey III was asked to start a local chapter by the International office. On January 30th, 1953, the Serra Club of Philadelphia was officially chartered with thirty-five members. The club’s first President was Matthew H. McCloskey III and its Chaplain was Rev. Msgr. John G. McFadden.
Throughout the years, the Serra Club of Philadelphia have hosted a variety of events to accomplish their mission. Programs they have carried out include a Vocations Exhibit at various elementary school, talks with middle school students featuring those engaged in missionary and educational work, and retreats for high school students. Serrans have hosted luncheons for newly ordained priests through their Ordinati Luncheon and honored altar servers for their service. One of the biggest ventures of Philadelphia club was the “In His Footsteps” pamphlet, a look into life at Saint Charles Borromeo Seminary.
4.5 Linear Feet (; 10 boxes)
Language of Materials
- Catholic Church -- Societies, etc. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Catholic Church. Archdiocese of Philadelphia (Pa.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Serra Club of Philadelphia collection
- Serra Club of Philadelphia collection Finding Aid
- Richard Girkin
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description