John Foley Papers
Scope and Contents
This collection contains material from John Foley’s time as a priest in the Archdiocese of Philadelphia. Series I corresponds to his duty as press liaison for Cardinal Krol during the 1980 Synod of Bishops. Series II contains material on the 1974 Holy Year of Renewal and Reconciliation contains planning material and pilgrimage forms as well as correspondence, the latter of which most seems to come from the files of Father Walter Conway. Series III includes material from his work as a secretary to the National Conference of Catholic Bishops from 1969 to 1983. It is broken up into three subseries based on how they were organized when they were received by CHRC.
- 1968 - 1985
Biographical / Historical
John Foley was born in 1935 and was ordained a priest on May 19, 1962. He served as editor of the Catholic Standard and Times and taught philosophy at St. Charles Borromeo Seminary. He was ordained a bishop by Cardinal Krol on May 8, 1984 and made a Cardinal by Pope Benedict XVI on November 24, 2007. Foley served as Krol’s press liaison during the 1980 Synod of Bishops as well as secretary of the National Conference of Catholic Bishops from 1969-1983.
6.6 Linear Feet (; 17 boxes)
Language of Materials
The collection contains material relating to the 1980 Synod of Bishops in Rome, the Holy Year of Renewal and Reconciliation in 1974, and the National Conference of Catholic Bishops from 1969 to the 1980s. This collection includes mainly correspondence and administrative records.
Accession Number 1990.138
- Bylaws (administrative records) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Catholic Church -- Societies, etc. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Catholic Church -- United States -- History. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Catholic Church. Archdiocese of Philadelphia (Pa.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Christian pilgrims and pilgrimages Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the Catholic Historical Research Center of the Archdiocese of Philadelphia Repository
6719 Calvert Street
Philadelphia PA 19149